Thursday, July 15, 2010

Release the Pressure

I found this prayer that was written by Archbishop Oscar Romero and I want to share it with you....

It helps, now and then, to step back
and take the long view.
The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts,
it is beyond our vision.

We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of
the magnificent enterprise that is God's work.
Nothing we do is complete,
which is another way of saying
that the kingdom always lies beyond us.

No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No programm accomplishes the church's mission.
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.

This is what we are about:
We plant seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces effects beyond our capabilities.

We cannot do everything
and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.
This enables us to do something,
and to do it very well.
It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way,
an opportunity for God's grace to enter and do the rest.

We may never see the end results,
but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker.
We are workers, not master builders,
ministers, not messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own.

I would encourage you to sit for a minute and ponder the words of this prayer.  Re-read it and really meditate on the words. Do you find release in its words? Do you find peace? Is your burden in life lessened?

I would love to hear how this poem spoke to you and what you thought of as a result of reading it. If you click the word comment below you can leave me a comment and I would enjoy hearing from all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daryl,
    Yes this helps....helps take some of the pressure off. What I mean is, sometimes it feels like I can't do enough or I am not trying hard enough. I know I can always do better, but with this prayer I can try to cut myself some slack and no be so hard on me. I am human and have to accept that. I have printed this out for re-reading on a regular basis. I also want to say how much I appreciate you and this blog. I have shared your series of the Lord's Prayer with a friend and will share more as I can. Thank you again for all you do.
    Michelle Bailey

    ReplyDelete