Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Midweek Moment

Happy Wednesday to you!

This week I (Robert the intern) have the opportunity to write the midweek moment for you all. On Monday, of this week, I left the teenage years behind, and became a twenty year old (man?). It is absolutely crazy how fast time flies! If you were not in worship Sunday morning, let me recap a little scenario for you.

During the announcement time, our beloved Bob Greene mentioned that there was a cake over in the fellowship hall for someone who he wouldn’t mention, but then he did anyway. To my surprise, it was for me! I was automatically thrilled and smiling ear to ear. It was not until after the service when Daryl and I were chatting with people and saying good bye that I realized how hungry I was. Being as discrete as I could, I quickly snuck over to the fellowship hall to get in line!

To my surprise I found that no one had eaten yet, and everyone was still waiting in line. All of the sudden when I walked into the fellowship hall, everyone turned to the door I walked in and they starting singing Happy Birthday to me. Once again, I could not do anything but smile ear to ear. I then walked over and saw my beautiful cake and a card. When I opened the card there were SO many signatures from members of the congregation. When I got home that day I hung it on the bulletin board in my room. I am very proud of that card. I want to say a special thank you to you all for getting the cake for me and for making Sunday such a memorable day for me. It is a memory that I will have for the rest of my life, and for that I am so thankful.

I tell this story because over the course of this summer I have learned something so valuable. Relationships are some of the most valuable and meaningful things a person can enjoy. Along with that I have learned to always be thankful to those who care for you and look after you, be kind to all, and most importantly to love those whom you come into contact with unconditionally. Even after only being here a few short weeks I feel so loved, welcomed, and overly appreciated. I am praying that churches everywhere will learn to be as welcoming and compassionate to all visitors as Druid Hills has been to me. For that I will be ever thankful and grateful. I have never felt so encouraged about my faith walk and my path to ministry than I have this summer. I have all of you to thank. I want to leave you with a very easy passage to remember, but one that we should not forget.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13

Have a wonderful week, and I hope to see you all on Sunday!
Robert Bledsoe

No comments:

Post a Comment