Sunday, September 5, 2010

Prayer is About Presence: Exodus 17:8-13 and Luke 18:2-5

Introduction
Today we are going to begin a new preaching series focusing on the idea that we need to make time in our lives for prayer. In this series we are going to take a look at prayer through the lens of presence, invitation, barriers and listening. Today we are going to begin with the lens of presence as we talk about why we pray, the benefits of praying, and what types of things we should pray about.

What Do I do?
Several years ago I had the opportunity to intern as a chaplain at Tampa General Hospital. As part of my internship we all had to work at least one overnight shift. Now to put this in perspective Tampa General is the level 1 trauma hospital for nine counties. If you had a serious injury in any of those nine counties, you were transported by ambulance or helicopter to Tampa General. Therefore, the ER was always very active. Now when you work an overnight shift that goes from 5pm that evening till 8am the next morning. And you are the only chaplain in the hospital.

During one of my overnight shifts I was paged to the ER. A woman had just been brought in because she suffered a severe heart attack and was not going to survive it. Her husband of 60 years had called 911 and was sitting by her bed. As you can imagine he was very upset so the ER nurse paged the chaplain. I checked in at the nurses station, was told of the situation, and then began my trek to see the husband. I was absolutely panic stricken. I had gone through losing someone to death before, three grand-parents and two great-grandmothers. But never a wife, and I had never had to counsel someone through it.

What I was setting out to do with this man was going to be a new experience for me. I had no idea what to say. The fear of making it worse by saying something horrible was growing in my gut. I was having trouble coming up with the words to say to even start a conversation, much less how to bring this man comfort through one. So I began to pray....

Why Pray?
When we are faced with situation such as these, we usually pray. Even people that do not practice their faith consistently will pray in a situation like this. So why do we pray? What is it that we are searching for that makes us feel prayer is the place to start?

Because prayer is the key to unlock God's power. Bill Hybels, pastor of Willow Creek Community Church, says, “We pray because, by intuition or experience, we understand that the most intimate communion with God comes only through prayer.”1 It is when we bear ourselves before our Lord and Creator that feelings of intimacy arise. We feel closer to God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit more than any other time when we pray. That is why we make it a point to open up the altar rail during worship so everyone has time to pray. “People are drawn to prayer because they know that God's power flows primarily to people who pray”2 We pray to unlock God's power in our lives.

Benefits of Prayer
But there is more! When you pray you are also allowing God to pour out blessings upon you. God has many blessings for you and when you pray, when you take the time to open yourself up through prayer, amazing things can happen. Our first Scripture lesson this morning shows us the power of God's blessings.

The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses in response to this attack goes up on a hill with the staff of God in his hands, raises his arms and begins to pray. As they battle and as Moses prays, the Israelites are winning. So Moses stops praying and watches. The tide starts to turn and Amalekites are starting to win. Moses again raises his hands, prays to God, and the Israelites begin to overpower the Amalekites again. As long as Moses prayed, the Israelites prevailed. In fact Moses' hands grew tired, so Aaron and Hur gave him a stone to sit on and Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady and Moses prayed.

Through prayer this battle was swayed. Through prayer the Israelites prevailed. Through prayer God blessed the chosen people. Prayer is a key, the key, to God's blessings. Moses used it, Christ used it, you can use it. Prayer works because it is powerful. It works because God is always listening. It works because that is where we are connected with God in a fellowship like no other.

Pray About All Things!
Now that we better understand what prayer can do for us, is there a limit to what we can pray for? No! Philippians 4:6 tells us, “Do not be anxious about anything, bit in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God”. Bring everything to God, no holds barred. Every night after Parker and Wesley say their prayers, Debbie and I open it up for them to pray about anything. We have prayed about safe travel, good days at school, sunny weather, athletes to be safe during games, along with all the usual prayers for illness, direction, and healing. Pray often, pray hard, just pray!

And when you pray, be confident! Hebrews 4:16 tells us, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Approach God, confident in your request, confident that it will be heard, confident that God wants to hear it. Take anything, everything, confidently before your God. Scripture tells you too.

Conclusion
Remember the man I told you about that was about to lose his wife of 60 years? When I arrived and pulled back the curtain, he looked at me and I opened my mouth to speak. Nothing came out. I tried again. Again nothing. So I reached out, put my arm on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. I stood there for 45 minutes with my hand on his shoulders, during which his wife breathed her last breath. When he was ready to go, he stood up, turned to me, and gave me a hug. He told me how grateful he was that someone was there with him. It was the presence of another person, not words, that brought this man comfort. And it was God responding to my prayer for guidance, that caused my silence. I needed help, I prayed about what to say, and I did it will the confidence that God would respond. And God did. God closed my mouth and took my speech, because that man needed to feel God's presence through the touch of my hand on his shoulder. That man did not need inadequate words or gestures.  God was present!

Folks, prayer can often get overlooked in the midst of a busy life. But I challenge you to make time daily to pray. Prayer is where you are blessed, prayer is wide open, prayer requires nothing of you but your willingness to do it. God is eagerly waiting, God is anxiously anticipating, and God is ever present. God wants you to pray so God can open up the gates of Heaven and bless you till you cannot take anymore. Instead of thinking of yourself as too busy to pray, think of yourself as too busy not to pray.

[1] Hybels, Bill. Too Busy Not Too Pray: Slowing Down to be with God. (InterVarsity Press, 1998) p.9
[2] Ibid, p.12

No comments:

Post a Comment