Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Midweek Moment

Overwhelmed. I am simply overwhelmed. As you know this past week was a very important week for me. It marked the culmination of many years of hard work, focus, and perseverance. It was a time for the Bishop to lay hands on me and ordain me for work in the United Methodist Church. Ordination is the goal I have been pursuing for the last nineteen years.

The event in and of itself was incredibly moving for me. To hear the words of the Bishop of the Florida-Bahamas Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Edward R. Benoway, to the music of Lighthouse Band, it was all very moving. To see so many of my friends and colleagues go before me and be licensed and commissioned for work in the United Methodist Church was very special. To sit on the front row and exchange smiles and winks was meaningful for me. Then for me to be lead onto the stage, for Bishop Whitaker to lay hands on me and pray, “Almighty God, pour upon Daryl Wayne Allen the Holy Spirit, for the office and work of an elder in Christ's holy church.” Wow! WOW!

If that was not enough, there was you. At the conclusion of the service, I found the thirty people that boarded a bus earlier that day and made the trek to support me...my cup runneth over! For me to see so many friendly and loving faces, meant so much to me. As I looked over those faces, I immediately thought about the rest of my Druid Hills family that were there in spirit and in prayer. I remember getting goosebumps as all of your faces coursed through my mind. As hugs were shared, tears of joy were shed, and smiles abounded all around, my heart soared. I cannot thank you enough, all of you, for those that traveled to Lakeland, for those that prayed for me where they were, for those of you that watched it online, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

But it was not over. Sunday morning came, worship was shared, and then came the cake! The surprise party you all gave me, revealing to me once again, that we truly are a family, was tremendous. I do have to admit when David began to ask people to speak, and I was asked to sit in the “chair”, the word “roast” came to mind. However, the sentiments that were shared, the love that was expressed, the bond that was revealed, I could not stop smiling. Then to top it all off, you all presented me with a beautiful blue stole. Again, thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

This was not a sole achievement. This was communal. This was corporate. This was done together. From the lessons you have shared with me, the stories you have trusted me with, and the trust you have honored me with, we did this together. From your well wishes, words of encouragement, and the whole host of prayers offered on my behalf, we did this together. I could not, would not, cannot, be the pastor I am today, without each and every one of you. You have all played a role, each and every one of you have played a role, in shaping me into the person I am today.

On Monday, I replayed the entire week's events over and over in my mind. Smiling all along the way. To my Druid Hills family, I want to tell you thank you. Although words are not enough, please understand the love that lies underneath them. And know I treasure each of you. I thank you for the love, I thank you for the support, and I thank you for who you are. I look forward to our shared future ministry together and the wonderful things God is going to do through and with us.

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment