1. Sunday Worship - This week we will conclude our preaching series focusing on the idea of revival as it played out in the life of our denominations founder, John Wesley. Faith is the bedrock for who we are and the foundation for our journeys through this life. Faith allows us to walk confidently with God, trust completely in our relationship with Jesus Christ, and rely fully on the power of the Holy Spirit.
But at times our faith can wane, it can wander, and it can lose its strength. At times such as those we all need revival. Come and join us as we wrap up our look at the life of John Wesley, the faith he relied on, and ways we can use those lessons to strengthen our own faith.
2. FAD Night - FAD Night will NOT meet next week. We will resume the following week on Thursday, February 26th. What this space for details about our program for that night.
3. Ash Wednesday - As many of you know, Easter comes early this year, April 5th to be exact. That means our season of Lent will begin earlier as well. In order to help us enter into this season representing the time Jesus spent in the wilderness enduring the temptation of Satan, you will have two opportunities to gather for a time of prayer and worship on the first day of Lent.
On Ash Wednesday, February 18th, from 12 PM – 1 PM, the Sanctuary will be open for you to come and observe a quiet time and space. You can come and sit in a pew or kneel at the altar rail. You can read Scripture, pray, or meditate. It will be your time to do that which helps you draw closer to God. I will be there to pray with you, if you desire, as well as to place ashes on your forehead when you are ready to leave. We will also have a service that evening at 6 P.M. in the Sanctuary. During this service, we will read Scripture and I will deliver a message entitled, “And So It Begins...” Invite a friend and I hope to see you all there.
4. Boy Scout Chicken Dinner - Saturday, February 21st, our Boy Scout Troop will host a carry out chicken dinner here at the church from 11 A.M.- 3 P.M. Dinners will be $7 each and tickets are available from any scout or scout parent. To help lessen your search, Kelsey Burnette has some available, as do I. To help the scouts plan, that are asking for tickets to be purchased beforehand so they know how many chickens to buy and prepare. Please come on out and support our boys as they raise money for summer camp this year.
5. New Member Class - This Sunday, February 15th at 12:45 P.M., I will host a new member class in my office. If you have been attending Druid Hills for at least three months and would like to take that next step in becoming a member of this church, this class is for you! To register for this class, either call the church office at 629-5688, or see me Sunday morning. This is a one time session where we get together to discuss what it means to be a United Methodist, what it means to be a member of Druid Hills UMC, and offer you a little background on the history of this church. If this interests you, I hope you will make plans to attend.
Have a great weekend and I will see you Sunday!