Here are five things that I want to bring to your attention this week.
1. Salty service cards – Salty Service – We have been averaging 8 cards a week with a high of 11 in September as we work to minister to those outside our walls. Salty Service "...makes a difference in people’s lives – both those being served and those serving. Salty Service makes us “doers and not hears only” (James 1.27). Salty Service connects the lives of disciples with the ongoing work of Christ in the world. Salty Service restores credibility to those who would share a Gospel of love to a doubting world." If you work one hour outside the walls of our church then please get a Salty Service card from the pew holders and drop it in the offering plate. You do not have to fill anything out. Just get a card and turn it in. As easy as that! So keep plugging away ministering to those we meet outside the walls.
2. Literacy Tutor – Many of you probably read the article in the paper a few weeks ago about the high illiteracy rate here in Marion County. We have an opportunity to help our community in this regard. John Clayton has been in contact with the Literacy Coalition and they will partner with us to provide the training, the material, and the students, at no cost to us, if we will do the tutoring. If you are interested please contact the church office and when we have a good size group together they will come out and talk with us and explain everything. This is a wonderful way to practice the love of Christ and reach out to the people of Ocala.
3. Pumpkin Patch – We are in need of volunteers. If you are interested in working the patch, reading stories, or any other area please sign up at the Connection Station. We are in full swing and the patch is packed just about every day. Thanks to all those that have volunteered already and it is never to late to join the fun!
4. Facebook – If you are a member of Facebook I have set up a church group page for our church. We have four members already! My hope is that we can use it as another way to get our church out there for people to see. There is a discussion board as well as a place to post announcements, reminders, and pictures of things happening in and around our church for not only our members to see, but others as well. This is just another way that we are reaching outside our walls to the community around us. And please do not be afraid to tell others about it!
5. Bible Study with Marge – Marge Grieves is starting a Bible Study on the Gospel of John that will meet on Wednesdays at 11am. If you are interested please make plans to attend this time of fellowship and enrichment.
Have a great weekend and see you Sunday!