2. Branches United Methodist – Many of you have heard me talking about this church that burned down a few weeks ago. This church fills an incredible need in Florida City, for children, the homeless, the poor. It is a refuge for many, and a source of strength for all.
So I am asking everyone to do two things. One is pray. And the church has asked for prayer in several areas.
- Prayer for this community of faith who has suffered so much.
- Prayer for help in sorting out all the information concerning the fire and for favor with the investigators.
- Prayer for strength for Pastor Audrey and Kim Torres. Not only do they have to deal with the logistics that comes with a disaster, they still have programming for the community that starts at 2pm and does not end each night until 10pm.
This church has a long road ahead and many obstacles to maneuver. But they have adopted a motto that they are living by, "God is Bigger!" God is bigger than a fire, God is bigger than a disaster, God is bigger! What a message we can all take to heart!
3. New Member Gathering - If you have been attending for a while and are thinking about joining our church there will be a New Member Gathering in the Pastor's Office on Sunday, June 13th, at 1 pm. We will discuss what it means to be a member and get to know one another as we discuss our role as Christians. If you would like to attend please call the church office to sign up.
4. Preaching Series - Next week, June 13th, we begin a new five-week preaching series on the Lord's Prayer. The first week we will look at the beginning of this prayer, "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed by thy name" and see what meaning lies in those words. I hope to see everyone there!
5. White Goods Sunday – This Sunday is White Goods Sunday. Please bring any white paper goods: napkins, paper towels, toilet tissue, facial tissue, paper plates, 55 gallon trash bags, and the sort. There will be wicker baskets on the front pew for you to place your donations in. You all have done a tremendous job at supporting this endeavor and I greatly appreciate it!