1. Preaching Series - This week we begin a new five-week preaching series on the Lord's Prayer. Sunday we will look at the beginning of this prayer, "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed by thy Name" and see what meaning lies in those words. I hope to see everyone there!
2. Vacation Bible School - I would like to see us host a week of Vacation Bible School this year here at Druid Hills. If you are interested in helping out in any way, teaching a class, serving snack, organizing the programs, please let me know or contact the church office so we can get this organized and going. So far I have three volunteers.
3. Branches United Methodist – Many of you have heard me talking about this church that burned down a few weeks ago. This church fills an incredible need in Florida City, for children, the homeless, the poor. It is a refuge for many, and a source of strength for all.
So I am asking everyone to do two things. One is pray. And the church has asked for prayer in several areas.
* Prayer for this community of faith who has suffered so much.
* Prayer for help in sorting out all the information concerning the fire and for favor with the investigators.
* Prayer for strength for Pastor Audrey and Kim Torres. Not only do they have to deal with the logistics that comes with a disaster, they still have programming for the community that starts at 2pm and does not end each night until 10pm.
I am also asking that you consider helping this church financially in any way you can. If you have the ability we can do several things. One, you can put your donation in the offering plate on Sunday, two, you can drop it by the office, or three, if you want to donate online, see me and I will show you how. Any money we gather I will make sure it gets to them.
This church has a long road ahead and many obstacles to maneuver. But they have adopted a motto that they are living by, "God is Bigger!" God is bigger than a fire, God is bigger than a disaster, God is bigger! What a message we can all take to heart!
4. Annual Conference - Today we are in the middle of our Annual Conference. With that in mind I am asking all of you to please pray for us that we are open to the promptings of God in all the decisions that are made.
5. Canned Food Sunday – This Sunday is Canned Food Sunday. Please bring any canned food that we can use to help fill our 2 x 4 boxes. There will be wicker baskets on the front pew for you to place your donations in. You all have done a tremendous job at supporting this endeavor and I greatly appreciate it!