1. Preaching Series - As followers of the The Way, of Jesus Christ, we seek to live a life directed by the will of God, the example of Jesus Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit. However, at times we fall short. We allow emotions, hurtful words, and/or a lack of grace to take us to a place we do not want to go, to a place where we do not wish to dwell. But there is a way out. Based upon Scripture, and fleshed out in the life, works, and teaching of John Wesley we are presented with Three Simple Rules; Do No Harm, Do Good, and Stay in Love with God.
Join us this week as we conclude this series and seek to better understand the rule of Stay in Love with God. These are rules simple in word but complex in application. I pray you will make plans to worship with us, and invite a friend, as we seek to change this world through the way we interact within it.
2. Interfaith Ministry - Each year we partner with Interfaith Ministries to provide a meal for the residents of their living facility. We get the chance to break bread with these people and share a wonderful time together. With that in mind, we need volunteers. The 2013 sign-up sheet is posted on the Connection Station. We are scheduled to provide the evening meal the second Friday of each month. It is a great idea to consider asking a friend or two to help you provide the meal. We need volunteers for April through December. If you have any questions, please contact Libby Orbison. This is a wonderful opportunity to be the heart, hands, and feet of Jesus Christ to another. I pray you will have the chance to be involved with this ministry this year.
3. Bread Ministry - We here at Druid Hills have a wonderful welcome ministry. From the bags prepared and given out by Bob Greene, to the way each of you extend the hand of hospitality to all who enter, corporately we have this gift. Marianne Bingham has offered us an idea to enhance this gift of ours, bread. We are beginning a bread ministry, where each Sunday one volunteer will sign up to bake several small loaves of bread for us to give to any that visit our church. I would ask that you each consider signing up for a few weeks. There is a sign up sheet at the Connection Station and there are recipes we can provide you that are quick and easy. This is such an easy thing that will go such a long way. I hope you each will give God the opportunity to use you in this way to bless another.
4. Ash Wednesday - As many of you know, Easter comes early this year, March 31st to be exact. That means our season of Lent will begin earlier as well. In order to help us enter into this season representing the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan, you will have two opportunities to gather for a time of prayer and worship on the first day of Lent. On Ash Wednesday, February 13th, from 12 PM – 1 PM, the Sanctuary will be open for you to come and observe a quiet time and space. You can come and sit in a pew or kneel at the altar rail. You can read Scripture, pray, or meditate. It will be your time to do that which helps you draw closer to God. I will be there to pray with you, if you desire, as well as to place ashes on your forehead when you are ready to leave. I hope you will make plans to take advantage of this opportunity. We will also have a service that evening at 6 P.M. in the Sanctuary. During this service, we will read Scripture and I will deliver a message entitled, “Who’s the Good Guy?” Invite a friend and I hope to see you all there.
5. Easter Tableau - It’s time to start thinking about the Easter Tableau, which will be on Thursday, March 28 and Friday, March 29. There will be sign-up sheets on the Connection Station beginning about the middle of February. Your help will be needed in the scenes and also making refreshments to help defray the kitchen costs. Each scene needs to have a coordinator, so if you would like to volunteer to be a coordinator for one of the scenes, please let us know. If you would like to assist in any of the various areas; such as scene set-up, costumes, make-up, sound, lighting, etc., please let us know. Please be in prayer for a successful 2013 Easter Tableau. If you have any questions, please contact Eunice Reid. Thank You!
Bonus Five - This Sunday, 02/10, is our Annual Scout Sunday Celebration. We will have participants from the different Scouting Troops and Packs we sponsor, involved in worship, as we express our thankfulness for the way these programs and leaders mold these young minds.
Therefore, I am asking each of you to consider bringing something for the Fellowship Lunch after worship. We are expecting anywhere from 40-80 extra people, and we want to make sure we have enough food. Our hospitality is one of our greatest assets and we have a wonderful opportunity to share that this Sunday.
See you Sunday!