Friday, June 13, 2014
1. Sermon Series - This Sunday we will begin a new preaching series entitled, Jargon Unchained. If you have spent any time in a church, specifically a United Methodist Church you know we have jargon. We have those words that mean a great deal to us, its members, but to visitors and people new to the faith these words may not hold much meaning. So over the next several weeks we are going to take some of our more important pieces of jargon and we are going to explore them, unpack them, as we seek to better understand what they can mean in our lives. If you would like to peak ahead, you can click here for the sermon schedule. Invite a friend and I hope to see you all there!
2. Quarter Buckets - We have been very successful over the years in meeting our pledge for the United Methodist Children's Home thanks to the generosity of our Quarter Buckets. Consistently we have exceeded the goal set out for us. However, we are beginning to see a challenge in meeting our goal to provide scholarships for our young people to go to summer camp in Leesburg. While we have met the obligation for those that have already expressed interest this year, as of now we do not have enough funds for next year. Therefore, the leadership has moved that we use part of the money raised in our quarter buckets to go to our camp fund. Beginning this month, the monies raised in the buckets on the first, third, and fifth Sundays will go to the Children's Home and the monies raised on the second and fourth Sundays will go to the camp fund. Also, as it has always been, the money collected during the fellowship lunch each week will continue to be used in the camp fund. Thank you in advance for your continued support of our children's ministry programs.
3. Advent Challenge - This past Sunday I issued another Advent Challenge for 2014. Last year's was so incredibly successful and so many lives were touched by this act of generosity, the leadership of the church wanted to do it again this year. Once again our goal between now and Christmas Eve is $5,000 to be split between a local and global charity. Of our goal, $2,900 will go to our global charity, Stop Hunger Now, as we strive to host another meal packaging event to help those children around the world that are suffering from malnourishment. The other $2,100 will go to our local mission, a Church Has Left the Building event, scheduled for early 2015. Please prayerfully consider how you might give, above and beyond your normal giving, to support this challenge so we may reach out the share the love of Christ with other people.
4. New Member Class - This Sunday, June 15th at 12:45 P.M., I will host a new member class in my office. If you have been attending Druid Hills for at least three months and would like to take that next step in becoming a member of this church, this class is for you! To register for this class, either call the church office at 629-5688, or email the office by clicking here. This is a one time session where we get together to discuss what it means to be a United Methodist, what it means to be a member of Druid Hills UMC, and offer you a little background on the history of this church. If this interests you, I hope you will make plans to attend.
5. Sound Booth - We are in need of a few volunteers to help out in the sound booth on Sunday mornings. If you are interested in volunteering to help us run this vital part of worship, please let us know by calling the church office, 629-5688, emailing the office by clicking here, or signing up at the Connection Station. You do not need to have any prior knowledge of sound equipment, we will train you. It is not very difficult at all, we just need a few people willing to lend their time. Thanks!
Have a great weekend and I will see you Sunday!