Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Midweek Moment

Prayer is a very important part of our faith journeys. It is the opportunity we have to talk with God and listen as God speaks with us. It is also the avenue by where we can better understand the role God has laid out for us as Disciples of Christ.

In times of trial, we pray. In times of temptation, we pray. In times of celebration, we pray. There is not a situation I know of where prayer is not appropriate and even necessary. Prayer is vital and its importance cannot be overstated.

Our United Methodist Book of Worship has many wonderful resources within its pages. One of those resources is the Five Daily Prayers. I have used these in the past but I feel they are absolutely worth repeating. These prayers remind us to stop five times a day to pray. Each one is for a different time of day and they help us stay focused on God’s plan for our life, Christ’s love for us and all of humanity, and the power of the Holy Spirit as it moves throughout the day. I encourage you make these a regular practice each day. You will be amazed at what a gift this type of discipline can be for you.

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday!




Early Morning Prayer of Thanksgiving

Eternal God, hallowed be your name.
Early in the morning, before I begin my work,
I praise your glory.
Renew my body as fresh as the morning flowers.
Open my inner eyes, as the sun casts new light
upon the darkness.
Deliver me from all captivity.
Like the birds of the sky,
            give me wings of freedom to begin a new journey.
As a mighty stream running continuously,
            restore justice and freedom day by day.
I thank you for the gift of this morning,
            and a new day to work with you.
Stir up in me the desire to serve you,
to live peacefully with my neighbors,
and to devote each day to your Son,
my Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Mid-Morning Prayer of Thanksgiving

God of Mercy, this midday moment of rest
is your welcome gift.
Bless the work I have begun, make good its defects,
            and let me finish it in a way that pleases you.
Grant this through Christ my Lord. Amen.

Mid-Day Prayer of Thanksgiving

In the brightness of your Son I spend each day;
Always you protect me with the umbrella of your love.
Grant me the strength to finish this day strong, and bring you the glory. 
To you, God, be all praise and glory forever & ever. Amen.

Early-Evening Prayer of Thanksgiving

I praise and thank you, O God,
            for you are without beginning and without end.
Through Christ, you created the whole world;
            through Christ, you preserve it.
You made the day for the works of light
            and the night for the refreshment
of my mind and body.
Keep me now in Christ; grant me a peaceful evening,
            a night free from sin;
and bring me at last to eternal life.
Through Christ and in the Holy Spirit,
I offer you all glory, honor, and worship,
now and forever. Amen.

Evening Prayer of Thanksgiving

As you have made this day, O God,
you also make the night.
Give light for my comfort.
Come upon me with quietness and still my soul.
            that I may listen for the whisper of your Spirit
            and be attentive to your nearness in my dreams.
Empower me to rise again in new life to proclaim your
praise, and show Christ to the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment