Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Midweek Moment

This week I have been taking down the Christmas decorations in my office and at the parsonage. I have been watching as those same types of decorations have been coming down in the Fellowship Hall and in the Sanctuary at the church. That transition can always be a bit sad, watching all of that color go away and knowing the excitement of the season is now passed and that another year is in the books.

But for me this year, more so than in previous years, I am feeling an air of excitement. We had a tremendous year in 2014 with extraordinary growth in so many areas! And as I look around at the foundation that was laid last year, I think 2015 can be even better.

We added new mission elements to our Block Party that we are hoping to expand this year. We achieved our goal for the Advent Conspiracy Fund so we can host another Stop Hunger Now meal packaging event and our inaugural Church Has Left the Building mission. I have had several of you come to me with new ideas for things you would like to try this year as new ways to encounter and reach out to our community. Not to mention all of the ways we already reach out with our current ministries. My mind is just swimming with all of the possibilities!

As I imagine what 2015 will be like for Druid Hills I am taken to a passage from Jeremiah, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” My friends, as we venture into this new year I want to encourage you all to keep walking on faith. I want to invite you to live into the excitement of what will happen as we try things we have never done before. I want to urge you to continue allowing yourselves to be stretched as we allow the Holy Spirit to guide and direct our path. If we work together, bind ourselves together, we can make an indelible impact on this community that will not only bring its people closer to God, but us as well.

Happy New Year and I will see you Sunday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment