Thursday, May 10, 2012

Midweek Moment

This past Sunday, it was announced I had been re-appointed to Druid Hills for another year. I thank you for the warm response and want you to know that I am honored to be able to continue working with this congregation as we strive to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

Over the last several months I have spent time thinking about that would look like for us. How can we effectively make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world? What ministries can we develop? What ministries do we already have that we can highlight? Are all our actions, as a body of faith, working toward the goal of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world? Are each of us as individuals, doing all we can to make this body healthy and effective? Are we focused on the proper things, or have other details gotten in our way and shifted our focus?

This past Monday I was standing outside our Education Building waiting for Cub Scouts to begin. It was raining, and raining hard. The sky was dark and their was a general gloomy appearance throughout the entire landscape. I was standing there pondering those questions I mentioned above and I could feel myself beginning to take on that gloomy feeling. I began thinking about the illnesses people in our congregation are facing. I began to recall some of the very difficult situations some others of us have had to deal with in their personal lives. I began to feel the hurt some of us are experiencing in the midst of the various transitions we are facing as a church body. Then I began to experience sadness at some of the reactions we have had to each other as a response to all of those situations we are facing.

Just then, in the midst of that driving rain, the sun came out. It lit up the entire landscape and even though the rain was still there, the gloom was not. There was a sense of peace, a sense of hope that washed over me as I watched the landscape transform. As hurt as we may feel over any issue, as scared as we may be for what the future holds, as dark and as desperate as any situation may be, we can rest assured God is always there. Hebrews 13:5 tells us of God's declaration, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Jesus tells his disciples as he is ascending into Heaven, “And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20b).

So my encouragement for you this midweek, is to trust in God. Always look for God in every situation. Always treat each other with love, looking for the kind word and not the divisive one. Always look for the hope rather than dwell on negative. And always, always remember, that we are not a body of believers created so that God and humanity can serve us and satisfy our desires. Rather, we are a body of believers created so that we can humble ourselves and serve God and humanity. Love each other always. Speak kindly to each others always. Serve God always. That is why we are disciples. That is why we have each devoted our lives to a cause bigger than ourselves. It is not easy, in fact it is very hard. But, it is necessary and God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit will help us each step of the way.

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment