Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Midweek Moment

Like most of you, right now I have many things on my mind. Some exciting, some not so much. My emotions range the spectrum right now depending on the situation I am involved with or the prayers that I am praying. Lately, it seems no matter how intentional I am to plan my day, it never follows that path. Again, depending on the path, sometimes those tangents are blessed and other times they are draining.

Last night, after I got home, I went in the back of the house. As I was coming back out to join the family, I was reminded of something. In the parsonage, when you come from the back of the house to the living area, you walk directly towards the back of the fireplace, a brick wall. Debbie and I have hung pictures on this wall from our trip to the Holy Land. Incredible reminders of a life changing event. But this day it was not the pictures that spoke to me. You see, above the pictures we have stenciled the Scripture passage from Psalm 46:10, “Be Still, and know I am the Lord.”

Right then and there I stopped. I stood in the hallway of the house and just let that truth wash over me. Be still and know I am the Lord. Be still. Quiet your mind, more importantly quiet your soul. Release the anxiety and worry weighing you down. Do not let the fears of this day or of the future pull you away from God. And know I am the Lord. There is nothing your God cannot see you through. There is no situation where your God will not guide you, if you allow it. There is no situation or outcome that God cannot redeem for good.

Each of us, all of us, have trials and temptations that we face on a daily basis. Each of us, all of us, can find ourselves weary and weak at the end of the day. Therefore, let me encourage you with the truth of Psalm 46:10, “Be Still, and know I am the Lord.” I know it is hard to still ourselves, especially when we find ourselves in the midst of an event or situation. Last night, I was tempted to continue my journey back into the living room. However, I was very grateful I stopped. Encouraged by the moment I stole at the end of the day. I invite you to find a time each day, to be still. To simply just exist in the presence of God the Father Almighty. Be open, be quiet, be still. Allow God to speak to you, move within you, reveal himself to you. You see, it is in those quiet moments, those special moments, those intimate moments that God can be with you. Maybe the answer to a question becomes clear, maybe a fear you have been wrestling with dissipates, even if for a moment. Maybe you get to encounter that special occasion when you experience a wonderfully serendipitous moment. Anything is possible when you spend time with God.

Therefore my brothers and sisters, be still. Turn to our Father in Heaven. Trust in God in all things. And as the days of your journey pass, may the bonds between you and our Triune God grow deeper.

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment