Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Midweek Moment

As a pastor one of my primary duties is to constantly cast vision for our church. Vision is that goal we all share that guides our ministries, our efforts, and how we interact with each other. Therefore, I am always on the look out for things we can incorporate into the life of our church that will fulfill not only the mission of the United Methodist Church, which is to "make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world", but to also our mission, which is that we will all strive to "serve Christ by learning, leading and loving."

For us to be successful in either of these mission statements, one thing is clear. We have to understand what it means for us to be the church. We have to understand how we should carry ourselves, how we should interact with others, and the reason we gather together.

This week I heard a quote from C.S. Lewis that describes the nature and mission of the church very clearly and very succinctly, "The church is the only organization that is built for the benefit of non-members".

Read it again...I had to after I wrote it down. The whole reason for our existence is for the benefit of those that are not a member of our congregation. I invite you to think about that. What does that mean for us here at Druid Hills UMC? Is this the mindset we live by? Could we do better living out this truth? In the community, with each other?

I was so moved sitting there listening to the gentleman delivering this quote, so moved by this truth that is so profound. This means our ministry programs, our community functions, our style of worship, is not about us. It is not about our personal preferences or desires. It is about reaching those that do not know the joy we have. It is about reaching those people that do not understand who God is, or the love Jesus has for them. It is about sacrificing our personal preferences and egos to reach out to those that have lost their way or never been introduced to The Way.

We have a truth to share with the nations. A truth of God's love, the sacrificial gift of Jesus Christ, and the always present companionship of the Holy Spirit. A truth we dare not lose in ourselves, a truth we dare not water down in tussles over personal wishes, a truth that is better than anything else we know.

I encourage you to join me in praying for the Holy Spirit to transform this church into the beacon of love and hope we are called to be. I ask you to pray that we can be faithful to the calling of God and that we absolutely be about the business of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. And one of the best ways I know to do that is by learning what God has to to teach us, leading others into a true relationship with Christ, and loving those we meet and those we already know, regardless of our differences.

As this gentleman was finishing up his presentation, he ended it with a assertion that I want to share with you now. He said, “Do you know what you call a organization that caters to the needs and desires of it's members? A Country Club.”

My dear friends, I love this church and I love you. And because I care so much about you, I want us to be the best church we can and never a country club. I want this community to know God is here because we are here. Here, reaching out to others, laying our own desires aside in order to truly be vessels of God. Living in joy because we know God and we are sharing it with everyone. And the best part is, I know all of you love this church as well. So together we can do this and I am very excited to see how it turns out!

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment