Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Midweek Moment

This past week was a wonderful time for the Allen Family. If you love the beach, how could you not have a great time when this is what you wake up to every morning? We went where I have been going since I was about eight years old; Siesta Key. It is an island located just off the mainland in Sarasota. It has very fine, white sand, clear water, and many, many memories for me. However, the great part about Siesta Key is that every year I go, more memories are made. And it is in those memories, that relationships are built.

This year we had many adventures and wonderful memories. Wesley learned how to swim. By day two he was swimming the width of the pool, face down; and by day six he was diving for swim rings at the bottom of the shallow end. Parker found new bravery as he ventured out to the sand bar by himself, and had an absolute blast. (He was pretty proud of himself to boot!) But what made all of this so great, is that we had no agenda, no plan, no itinerary. We simply spent each day together. Whatever we did, wherever we went, we did so together. The place and activity did not matter, it was the bond of being with one another that was paramount.

As I was driving the family home, I began to reflect on our time at the beach this year. I always love spending time in creation. In fact, Debbie and I have started walking 6-7 miles a week through the various parks here in Marion County. So for me to be able to sit in the sand, hear the water, and feel the sun, really moved my soul. I love being in the creation that God made and gave to each one of us. But as I was reflecting on the way home, there was one phrase that kept floating in and out of my mind, “Come to me all that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). I was not sure why that come coming to me, so I chewed on it.

This is what I have come up with. Not only do our bodies need rest, but so do our relationships. My time with Debbie, Parker, and Wesley, had become very much an, “in a minute” type of relationship. I had all sorts of activities and places I wanted to go with my dear ones, but I was telling them more and more, “in a minute”. Have you every found yourself in that season? Have you every found yourself so preoccupied with life that your loved ones have to wait for that elusive minute?

This week I got to give my loving family their minute. I got to spend all day, every day, for seven days with those people that I love, those people whose lives has been entrusted to me, those people I have vowed to provide care. It was great. But I also got a chance to give God his minute as well. I got to pray more, listen more, and experience more.

This week I invite you to find a “minute” to give to others...to God. Build those memories, strengthen those relationships. Find a way to say yes, rather than “in a minute”. I think you will be glad you did!

God bless you all and I will see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment