1. Preaching Series - This Sunday we are continuing our preaching series entitled, Ashes to Fire, which we are doing in conjunction with Belleview UMC. Ashes to Fire is an intentional journey with Jesus from Ash Wednesday through Holy Week and Easter and on to Pentecost Sunday - from penitence to praise to power. This Sunday we will look to a few traits Jesus' asked his disciples to live out during their last meal together. I pray this time of reflection will be one that will draw you deeper into your faith journey as we look to the life of Christ and example of love that he modeled for us. I encourage you to invite a friend and I hope to see you there!
2. Bible Study - Grace. We talk as though we understand the term. The bank gives us a grace period. The seedy politician falls from grace. Musicians speak of a grace note. We describe an actress as gracious, a dancer as graceful. We use the word for hospitals, baby girls, kings, and premeal prayers. We talk as though we know what grace means.
But do we really understand it? Have we settled for wimpy grace? It politely occupies a phrase in a hymn, fits nicely on a church sign. Never causes trouble or demands a response. When asked, “Do you believe in grace?” who could say no?
Max Lucado asks a deeper question: Have you been changed by grace? Shaped by grace? Strengthened by grace? Emboldened by grace? Softened by grace? Snatched by the nape of your neck and shaken to your senses by grace? God’s grace has a drenching about it. A wildness about it. A white-water, riptide, turn-you-upside-downness about it. Grace comes after you. It rewires you. From insecure to God secure. From regret riddled to better-because-of-it. From afraid to die to ready to fly. Grace is the voice that calls us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off.
Let’s make certain grace gets you. We began last Thursday with the lesson, "A Grace Shaped Life". This week we turn to the lesson "Jesus Stooped Low to Take Our Place". We will meet on Thursdays at 10:30am and 7:00pm in the Fellowship Hall. For more details or to register, please visit our website by clicking here, or fill out the form in this Sunday's bulletin. I hope you will make plans to come as we make certain grace gets you!
3. Moving Forward - The next meeting of our new Moving Forward group will be Monday, May 6th, in the Fellowship Hall at 11am. You are asked to bring a bag lunch and a beverage, as the discussion will center around ideas for the upcoming months. This group is for all of the ladies of our church that have lost their spouse. This social group will give you the chance to share ideas, discuss your faith, and pray for each other.
4. May Newsletters - The May edition of the Sunshine Herald is available in the narthex for pickup. Please remember to to take yours to help cut down on postage. Also, we are combining our June, July, and August newsletters into one. If you have information you would like to include in the "summer" newsletter, please have it into the office by Sunday, May 26th. We will resume monthly newsletters in September. Remember, you can also view the Newsletter electronically on our church website. You can find it easily just by clicking here.
5. Upcoming Worship - We have two very important services coming up where we are asking for your involvement. On Sunday, May 19th, we are asking that you come to church wearing red and/or white to celebrate Pentecost and the coming of the Holy Spirit. Then on Sunday, May 26th, we will observe Memorial Day and would ask that you wear red, white, and blue. Your participation will help to make these worship services more meaningful as we celebrate and honor these events.
Have a great weekend and I will see you Sunday!