Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Midweek Moment

I have a passage of Scripture stenciled on the wall in my office, just above my desk. It is from II Corinthians 5:7, “For we walk by faith, not by sight.” For me this serves as a wonderful and timeless reminder of how God calls us to order our lives.

Last week in worship, we talked about those locked-door seasons in our lives. I shared with you that there have been times in my life where locking myself behind a door seemed like the best choice. I am sure we have all had days where all we wanted to do was curl up in bed, pull the sheets over our head, and disconnect ourselves from the world and everyone in it. The more I have thought about those feelings in my life, the more I have realized that was because I was basing my reaction off of what I could see with my eyes.

Have you ever seen that picture that of the iceberg circulating around the internet? It shows this hugeiceberg above the water. But as you look below the surface of the water you notice that the rest of the iceberg is hundreds of times bigger underwater than it is above the water. If we were to judge the size of that iceberg only based on what we could see above the water, we would be missing so much of the complete picture. That is the risk that we all run when we live our lives based only the information we can see with our eyes.

I have been amazed at how many times in my life, when a situation seemed bleak, when the circumstances seemed dire, that God has come through for me. When my eyes would lead me to believe that rough times were directly ahead, that I had failed, that utter and complete disaster lay before me, God had other plans. Each week in my pastoral prayer I ask for God to be involved in the prayer requests that we do not even know about yet. That is because I know God is working for us before we know we have a need. Before we even have a hint that we might need God’s intervention or grace, God knows. How overwhelming is it to know that we serve a God that does not wait for our prayers? How peaceful is it to know, that God loves you so much God does not wait for you to be in crisis to work situations out for you.

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” While I am ever so grateful for my sight and the ability to see, I am cautious to not let that sense be my only guide. May we all remember that a life lived for God, is a life lived by faith. Trust in the One that created you, trust in the One that loves you more than you know, trust in the One that trusts in you.

Have a great week and I will see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment