Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Midweek Moment

On May 4th, Becky Klotz announced that I had been re-appointed to serve as the pastor at Druid Hills United Methodist Church for another year. I want you to know that it is my privilege and my humble honor to be a part of the ministry that takes place here. So that means this July 1st will begin my 6th year among you in ministry.

I first of all want to thank you for the positive response to that news! That meant a great deal to me. I also want to thank you for allowing me to baptize your children and grandchildren. Thank you for giving me the honor to bless marriages. Thank you for finding us and taking the step to officially join us as members of this body of Christ. Thank you for coming each week to worship and for living out your faith among us. Thank you for supporting our ministries and programs with your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and the word of mouth invitations you offered to others. Thank you for being open to allow God to transform your life and claim you as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

As I look back over the almost five years I have been here at Druid Hills, I am in awe at how different it is now. Our journey over that span has led us through significant transition in so many areas. We have been tested, we have been pruned, but above all and through it all, we have been blessed. Everywhere I turn I feel gratitude and gratefulness. Our membership has grown, our giving has increased, and our ministries have blossomed.

We have tried new things and collectively you have said “yes”. We have allowed ourselves to begin the process of being stretched spiritually and collectively you have said “yes”. We have dreamed big dreams, worked to turn them into realities, asked for you to support them, and collectively you have said “yes”. It is an exciting time to be a United Methodist at Druid Hills! It is exciting because you are here, because you have embraced the blessings God has for us, and because emphatically you have said…YES!

Last Sunday I shared a few of the ideas you all have brought to me about things we can incorporate into our ministry here. These ideas are new to our history and these ideas will make an incredible impact here and across the globe. I am so moved that you all have had these dreams and visions and I am just as eager to see how we can turn them into realities.

Change and growth are never easy. The term growing pains was established for a reason. But we have the power of the Holy Spirit on our side. We have the incredibly graceful nature of this congregation on our side. We have the peace and assurance that passes all understanding on our side. I am completely confident that as we try these new things, as we enter that uncharted territory, we will be met with joy, affirmation, and blessing. We just need to continue to step out on faith and do as Christ called us to do, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20, NIV).

I am looking forward to the things that God will do in us and among us in the coming year. So I want close by again saying “thank you.” Thank you for being open. Thank you for being faithful. Thank you for striving to be everything God created you to be. Thank you for being here!

Have a great week and I will see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment